Caribbean Prime Minister unimpressed with US travel advisory
St Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves has shared his views on the US advisory which was issued for its citizens to avoid non-essential travel to the Caribbean due to the risk of COVID-19.
Recently the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its travel health notices for a number of countries in the Caribbean region, placing them under Level Warning 3.
Gonsalves noted that the United States has 25 per cent of all the COVID-19 deaths in the world.
“When you put out an advisory like that, any other report they put out people will say it is a joke. If we are level three with our numbers you have to get a different category for America, they must be level five,” said the prime minister.
Gonsalves stated that St Vincent and the Grenadines has managed the COVID-19 epidemic quite well.
He said the island has recorded 57 positive cases to date with zero COVID-19 related deaths.
The prime minister noted that of the 57 cases, 55 of them were either direct import from the United States or connected to those who came from the US.
One case came from Canada and one from the UK.
St Vincent and the Grenadines as of August 14 had only two active COVID –19 cases.
Gonsalves was speaking on NBC Radio St Vincent and the Grenadines earlier this week.