PM Minnis: COVID-19 is still a threat, avoid high-risk behaviour
Prime Minister of The Bahamas Dr Hubert Minnis has condemned what he described as high-risk behaviour in the face of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
During a press conference on Monday, he said despite parties and other large gatherings being prohibited, reports reaching his office indicate that several parties have been hosted.
Just last week, the territory's police chief said parties and other social gatherings continue to pop up in New Providence despite the high COVID-19 infection rate on the island.
At last count, 1667 cases were recorded in New Providence.
Minnis said if citizens continue to disregard the restrictions put in place to slow the spread of the virus, the government may be forced to reinstate more stringent lockdown measures.
"This virus has lasting effects, some of which we still do not know about and which may do damage for a long time or lifetime. This is why I keep asking you to be safe and to take care of yourselves. In this phase of our reopening we each have the ability to lessen or to increase our risk of infection and the risk of infecting others," he said.
While several islands have seen a gradual decrease in COVID-19 infections, New Providence continues to experience a surge.
The Bahamas Ministry of Health recorded 39 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the total number of infections to 2585.
Of the new cases, 38 were recorded in New Providence and one in Abaco.
The Ministry of Health also recorded another virus-related death, an 81-year-old man who resided on New Providence. He died on August 14.